Having notched up a thumping victory in Lok Sabha Elections 2019, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)-led National Democratic Alliance (NDA) government was on Thursday sworn in for a second term in office. Led by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, more than 50 leaders of the BJP and other alliance partners in the NDA were administered the oath of office and secrecy by President Ram Nath Kovind at the Rashtrapati Bhavan in New Delhi.
About New Cabinet Ministers:
1. Amit Shah: Amit Shah took oath of office and secrecy in newly formed cabinet. Amit Anilchandra Shah has been President of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) since 2014. Under his leadership during 2014-16, BJP achieved success in Legislative Assembly elections in Maharashtra, Haryana, Jammu & Kashmir, Jharkhand and Assam, but lost the elections in Delhi and Bihar. BJP won 303 seats in 2019 Lok Sabha Elections under his leadership.
2. Rajnath Singh: Rajnath Singh sworn-in as Cabinet Minister consecutively second time. Rajnath Singh was serving as the Home Minister of India during first tenure of NDA from 2014 to 2019.
3. Nitin Gadkari: Before taking oath as Cabinet Minister, in second term of NDA government, he was holding Ministry for Road Transport & Highways, Shipping and Water Resources, River Development & Ganga Rejuvenation.
4. Nirmala Sitharaman: Nirmala Sitharaman has included in Modi Cabinet 2.0. She was serving as the Minister of Defence of India since 2017 and has served as Member of the Rajya Sabha, upper house of the Indian Parliament, since 2016.
5. Smriti Irani: Smriti Zubin Irani took oath of office to become part of the Modi Cabinet 2.0 at the Rashtrapati Bhavan. In her last term, she joined cabinet as HRD Minister but later she was moved to Ministry of Textiles.
6. S Jaishankar: Former foreign Secretary S Jaishankar took oath of office as a minister in Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s cabinet. Jaishankar has been ambassador to key countries like the US and China. An Indian Foreign Service (IFS) officer of the 1977 batch.
7. Ravi Shankar Prasad: Ravi Shankar Prasad took oath as Cabinet minister in Modi government’s second term. He defeated Shatrughan Sinha from the Patna Sahib constituency in Bihar.
8. D.V. Sadananda Gowda: Former Karnataka chief minister, DV Sadananda Gowda, has secured his position in the second term of the Narendra Modi-led NDA cabinet. He won the Lok Sabha elections from the high-profile Bangalore-North seat.
9. Harsimrat Kaur Badal: Harsimrat Kaur Badal of Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) took oath as a Union cabinet minister at the Rashtrapati Bhavan. She is three-time parliamentarian from Bathinda in Punjab.
10. Mahendra Nath Pandey: Mahendra Nath, who served as a Union minister of state (MoS) in the Ministry of HRD between 2016 and 2017, took oath as a cabinet minister.
11. Arvind Sawant: Arvind Sawant of Shiv Sena took oath of office and secrecy as a Union minister.
12. Pralhad Joshi: Pralhad Joshi, who was also BJP Karnataka president, took oath as Cabinet Minister at Rashtrapati Bhavan. Pralhad Joshi won the Dharwad Lok Sabha seat by a margin of 2,05,072 votes, defeating Congress’s Vinay Kulkarni.
13. Piyush Goyal: Former union railway and coal minister, was sworn into Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s new council of ministers. Piyush Goyal presented budget on 1 February 2019 as the finance minister.
14. Prakash Javadekar: He is a prominent BJP leader, who served as the Union Minister of Human Resource Development (HRD) in last NDA term, also took oath as Cabinet Minister. Javadekar also served as the Minister of State for Information and Broadcasting for a short period.
15. Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi: He sworn in as a Union Minister in PM Narendra Modi’s second cabinet. For last two term he was member of Rajya Sabha from Uttar Pradesh and Jharkhand. Naqvi was the Union minister for Minority Affairs, of which he took independent charge in 2016.